Thursday, 22 January 2015

Small Assets

I've been doing a lot of the bigger work lately and in the evening I like to fill my time with some smaller projects. I try and pick a smaller asset every night to complete in order to get a big catalog of items into my environment.


The asset on the left is the candle with it's holder. I already went over the candle in another post. The holder however was really easy, I sculpted a little bit of detail in Mudbox and then baked all this detail down. The material was one I already modified and didn't need much tweaking other than some scratches on top of the sculpted detail.

The one on the right is a little more complex to explain so I'll go into further detail below.
From left to right: Original concept - Reference - My sketch

I wasn't too sure what to make of the asset in the concept. Is it the assassin's symbol? Is it a navigational tool? Is it usable? Is it an ornament? These are all the questions I asked myself. I decided to go the 50/50 route, I found some nice reference of an early 18th century backstaff and saw this mixed in really well with the Assassin's Creed logo.

I tend to do a quick sketch of everything before hand if I'm not 100% sure how it's going to go together but this one worked really well.

I added in some extra detail like the little dial numbers and the assassins logo etched onto the cylinder at the back, this was done in NDO, much easier than sculpting it in, in my opinion.
Latest view as of 23/01/15

In this revision I added in the assets mentioned as well as the beams at the top.

I've still got the ceiling texture to finish and revise the carpet as top priorities for Friday, maybe even chuck in an asset and some texturing.

I also fixed a couple errors with the blockout mesh as well, things like points around the window being moved and some verts that weren't welded leaking in sunlight.

I also just slightly dimmed the lighting, not 100% sure if I'm happy with that decision. 

Update: 23/01/15
Following some feedback I added in some extra sides to the object to try and avoid the faceted look at much as possible, I think this is a little bit better now and certainly due to it's size it won't be noticeable in-game.


No comments:

Post a Comment