Saturday, 22 November 2014

End of November Progress

Since the last post I've been quite focused on AGD as we've just hit our first major deadline, luckily everything went well and I could focus on my FYP a little earlier than expected.

I'm also working towards the progress review so the next week will mainly be focused on that.

I got round to texturing the pillars inside dDo, I tried out a few methods (Also Quixel updated to 1.8 and this added a few new features I wanted to try)

I also started creating my own wood textures. From the research I've been doing I've got together a list of materials that would have been used in an environment like this and I'm building up my own material library of these materials which I've sourced myself.

An example of the 'Rustic Pine' material I created.


To add to this I've been really working in the smaller details of my blockout and importantly the walls/floors themselves. Making sure these line up perfectly and have different material IDs applied so I can import my custom materials into UE4 and use them.

I'm focusing a lot on modalirty in this level to help keep the scope down but also to reduce the time it takes to complete this project.

This week I've completed blocking out the final versions of the side wall panels and the hand-rails for the stairs. I created a modular system of wall panels that covers all the areas I need using around 6 different meshes (With the different floor heights it meant I needed a couple more meshes) These then snap together in the environment.

The modular system I'm using

The same goes with the hand rails, I found some nice 17th century examples and also found some blueprints for them so the creation of them was made even easier. I'd like to take these into mudbox and add some finer detail on the posts themselves.

Once these were added into the environment I could adjust the length of the 'stage' and match this up to the concept
Finally I've added all these elements together and refined my lighting a little, I've added in some light shafts and got the bright and dark areas roughly how I want them for now.

I've had a few issues with shadows and also my cloth seems to go luminous in the light but these are small issues I'll fix along the way. My lighting skill in UE4 is basic so the following week I'll be looking at the Unreal tutorials from Youtube and also the Digital Tutors Tutorials.


No comments:

Post a Comment