Friday, 31 October 2014

Structural Modelling - Cloth and Supports

I'm not sure why I chose to do this asset first but for some reason it appealed to me as a nice asset to begin with. I've singled it out on the concept and added it below to show a comparison.

I decided to blog a little more about this because I came up with an interesting technique in creating the cloth seen on the concept.

I used the video linked below to get control of the cloth modifier (something I haven't had much success with before) and actually create something nice without having to sculpt from scratch.

Cloth Modifier Tutorial

The technique I used consisted of adding in collision objects to 1) Act as holders for the cloth to hang from and 2) To push and move the cloth to create folds.

I initially created a test cloth with the standard cotton settings but selected points on my mesh and added it into a surface group and attached it to the boxes. I then added in a second collision box to push up the cloth and create some more folds.

I've added in some images below to show how I did it. I then created a final version of the cloth and also used the spray selection tool to create the rough edges.

I then just used a FFD modifier to change the mesh and get it suitable for what I wanted.

From here I'll sculpt in some minor details then decide if it's better to project this high-poly mesh onto a 2D plane or re-topo it and create a low-poly mesh.

The original concept next to my WIP.
Two boxes to hold up the cloth and one to pull in one side of the cloth.
The original test showing the collision objects.
Showing the selection I used on the mesh itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment