Monday, 16 February 2015

Final Week of Production

So last week I didn't get chance to update too much due to a really big interview I had but also Animex Festival, this did however mean I got some feedback from industry professionals.

The sort of feedback I got was to make it a lot more dirty, add more chips and scratches into the wood as well as roughing up the curtains. I also got given a tip of adding in a dark purple light in one of my corners to stop the crushing shadows sucking out all the light.

The majority of this will be sorted in my polish week next week.
The first thing I had to do was sort out the ugly carpet, I think some people thought I was finished with it. However it was just a place holder that I never got round to sorting out.

I took a lot of reference from Unreal's example in their realistic example map. I overlayed two meshes, the top one was the carpet with some slight spots of transparency and the bottom was just raw cotton, therefore the spots of transparency would then be turned into rough patches where the carpet has been worn and repeatedly walked on.

I also wanted to really push that blue colour (to also hint at the environments ties to the sea) so I used fresnel inside the material editor and overly bumped up my normal map (3x as much as normal) and ended up with this really nice result.
Here is the material tree for the rug, I have the usual plugged in, albedo, roughness, AO and normal.

However I used a multiply and 2,2,1 to bump up the rug quite a lot. This is then plugged into the fresnel with a value of 500.

This week has been centered around creating lots of smaller assets to clutter the place up with.

Smaller things like that table help because it can be used in conjunction with other assets. To make it more grounded in the world I added dust on top of the table and used a mask where the bottles are and have been  previously so there is no dust in those spots.

I've started to add a lot more clutter now as well, I would like to create some more smaller assets like trinkets to fill up some of the shelves though.
This area has so far become my favourite, I just really like how it's come along. I still need some more clutter to go on top of the table and on the left hand side though.

I also need to add in the chandelier and finally get round to texturing the fireplace, I've got a couple of polish items in this area as well so hopefully the final result turns out nice.

I also adjusted the lighting in this area a lot, I've started to make the globe and the wheel pop out as these are areas I want to draw the viewers attention to. 
I also finally got rid of that horrible gaping hole in the wall. I was originally going to add in a little doorway room but it became clear that this wasn't going to happen because of the time I had left, but this is something I can do later on if I want.

I took reference for the door and frame from some other pieces of concept art, I really like the design and the wood fits in well with the environment.

For the glass I used the glass bottle material I've been modifying and added a lot of dirt so the player couldn't see outside.

I also added some little Assassin's Creed logos etched into the wood.
Current view as of 16/02/2015. I think the carpet is the biggest improvement here and the wheel and globe are really starting to pop out.

I want to initially draw the players view up to the window and then back round to the globe table, so far I've achieved this however a lot more polish is needed.

I really want to carry that blue more into the environment where the stage is and really start to dirty it up more.
The last week was slightly wasted but I couldn't help it with having an interview I had to prepare for and also Animex festival, so this week I'll be crunching a lot more trying to get my few remaining assets done so I don't have to spill over into my polish week.

No comments:

Post a Comment