Big mix of things happened today I managed to make a few changes, have a large set-back and work on my video fly-through.
I managed to sort out the sub-surface scattering on the wax candle today. I thought it would actually be a lot more complex than it actually it, turns out UE4 already has it all built in and it just needs a few settings changed.
I ended up adding in a new sub-surface colour and changing the opacity to 0.5. I also managed to find a really nice example in 'Content Examples' a really nice free level I'd recommend downloading if you want to see how certain materials work inside UE4.
I also managed to block-out the outside area a little more, I originally planned to import my old sea shader from UDK however after a failed attempt I realised this was no longer possible. I therefore looked for other options and found a good solution in the 'Sun Temple' UE4 example. I simply took the water and one rock asset from there and used it for my scene.
This isn't something I would normally do as I like everything in the scene to be completely made by me, however due to time constraints I really haven't got time to create the outside scenery but the player only ever sees it from the window and doesn't actually go outside so I've made the exception here.
Onto the huge problem I had today which set me back half a day. For some reason after I imported some materials from another scene, my scene went completely dark and essentially broke. This was obviously a huge problem and I looked to fix everything, my lighting settings hadn't changed but the room was dark and when I went to play in the view-port everything was a blur.
I obviously completely panicked but it made it worst when all my backups had the same problem, it turns out for some unknown reason Scalability Settings were at fault, they'd suddenly switch to 'low' instead of 'epic' So yeah if you ever come across this weird problem then that's the fix.
Finally I thought it was time to start playing around with matinee and getting a rough sequence in for my fly-through. I've never used matinee before, not even in UDK, so this was a completely new experience to say the least, luckily a few tutorials were easy to follow.
Currently as you can see it's stupidly rough but these are the few bits I've picked on to fix:
- Improve the camera going up the stairs
- Make the shot around the globe table a lot slower and not going through the curtain
- Render it out in frames rather than an AVI (Will take 100 times longer though)
Luckily I've factored in a week to get all my screenshots and videos done for the final hand-in.
No comments:
Post a Comment