Tuesday, 3 February 2015

Populating the side area - 3rd February

I didn't expect to do another post this soon but I've been pretty busy and I don't fancy doing a huge post at the end of the week. I also made a few amendments to my schedule, for some reason I thought we had around 3 weeks left until the hand in, turns out we actually have 4 so my schedule is now as follows:

Current week: 1st Feb
- Assets to populate the environment

Week 2: 8th Feb
- Larger assets
- Outside area

Week 3: 15th Feb
- Medium/Small assets

Week 4: 22nd Feb
- Week dedicated to polish

Week 5: 1st March
- Render videos/screenshots

6th March Hand-In
Week 7: 8th March
- Report and documentation

The curtain asset was created using the same file as the cloth. It was created using the cloth simulation modifier in 3DS Max, a modifier which I've surprisingly managed to master. It creates some really decent effects in a short space of time.

I decided against using a standard 2D plane for this and actually just retopologized the mesh itself as the topology was quite good to start with.

The material itself was created using the standard cotton material in dDo with the tiling turned up, I then added some holes in the alpha channel for the light to shine through.
Continuing on the theme of 2D planes I created a high-poly version of the netting and baked this onto a 2D plane.

Creating hi-poly rope just consists of creating 4 cylinders and using the twist modifier, then using the Path Deform modifier I can attach it to my splines. The end result actually turned out quite nice.

The material itself again is cotton but I found that if I turn the tiling in dDo to around -2/-3 it creates a rough looking material, that combined with a nice normal map creates a nice looking asset.
As you can see I've been populating the right hand wall a fair bit. Not only with the assets above but with shelves and a fireplace.

The shelves were simple enough and all use the same texture map along with similar pieces of geometry to keep everything nice and optimised. I then added a few extra edge loops to break up the straight edges and to make them look a little more hand-made.

The fireplace isn't completed yet but it's becoming a nice feature of the wall, I noticed in the concept there seemed to be wood planks on the walls so I came up with a reason as to why they would be there. With the fireplace and wood beams there the shelves needed something to attach to, hence the planks. But it also looks rough and hand-made.
You can see the other shelves here and the boat paddles. The paddles use the same rope technique as the netting but obviously they wrap around this time. I also added in the side panels to the walls to stop them from looking too bare.

The shelves aren't completely filled up yet as I'd like to create some really basic random assets to fill them up, I don't want to over-use the assets I already have as that will spoil the look of the environment.

For example with the boat paddles you can see one set there but I also have another set on the other side on the floor, but I was careful to place them in the dark area of the floor to avoid them sticking out too much and being obvious that they're instanced. 
Current view as of 03/02/2015.

I think I've made a fair bit of progress over the past view days and it's slowly coming together. I've got a nice list things to polish up before the end as well.

Change list:
- Added new assets
- Moved some assets around
- Moved the rope on the pillars down
- Toned down the lighting at the far windows to reflect the new assets blocking out the light
- Fixed some transparency issues on the cloth/curtains (0.96 on transparency in the material)
- Moved the angle of the lighting slightly so the window shadows hit the carpet area better

Current priorities:
- Fireplace
- A couple of medium sized assets
- The ugly ugly placeholder carpet!!
- The entrance way and doors
- A new ceiling texture

No comments:

Post a Comment